Posts Tagged ‘Improv’
1. The Director’s Series Presents The Wake (improv)- Thursdays at 9pm: Alex Marino directs “The Wake”, an improv show inspired by the name of a recently deceased person.
2. Croft & Pearce (sketch)- Monday, Nov. 11th at 7pm: For one night only, top-rated British sketch comedians Croft & Pearce will be exploring some of life’s enduring mysteries, such as: is it ever too late? (yes), am I worth more than this? (no), should I tweet about this experience? (obviously).
3. Weekend of Regret & Pepita (improv & solo improv)- Monday, Nov. 11th at 8:30pm: 5 of New York’s top improvisers are paired with Pepita, the fictional alter-ego of Magnet Theater performer and instructor, Elana Fishbein.
4. Magnet Sketch Teams (sketch)- Sundays at 7:30pm: Homegrown sketch groups craft some of the most intelligent and hilarious sketch comedy New York, nay The World, has ever seen.
5. Jamaal Sedayao: Born To Karaoke (solo sketch)- Sunday, Nov. 17th at 9pm: In Japanese, “karaoke” means “empty orchestra.” And in Swahili “karaoke” means “having a good time”. Jamaal hopes you have the latter at this show.
6. Legend (musical improv)- Tuesday, Nov. 26th at 9pm: Seasoned Magnet Musical Improv Team, Legend, will blow you away with a completely improvised musical.
7. Kornfeld & Andrews (improv)- Saturday, Nov. 30th at 10:30pm: Magnet Instructors and performers and super cool dudes Louis Kornfeld and Rick Andrews pair together for one night of magical improvisation.
October was a wonderful month at Magnet! From a surprise Mike Myers show, to new ensembles, to Magnet performers in The NYTVF, a lot happened. To begin, Mike Myers dropped by for a special duo show with Magnet co-founder Ed Herbstman. After Jason Mantzoukas was unable to make the widely coveted Mantzoukas Brothers Show, the 3rd Mantzoukas Brother (Mike Myers) showed up to save the day. Herbstman and Myers had incredible chemistry, flawlessly weaving in and out of characters and scenes. Their show, just over an hour, was full of high energy sharp characters.
We had lots of new teams! Musical Megawatt (College, Wonderland), Megawatt (The Flood) and Magnet Sketch (Party., American Wormholes, Baby Shoes, Cash, The Misses) all had debuts this month! Congrats to the new players and be sure to check out these teams in November.
The 5th Annual NYMIF came and went with over 100 performers from as far as Toronoto and as close as Broadway! We had an incredible 5th Anniversary Festival which featured Baby Wants Candy, The Improvised Sondheim Project, and a closing night benefit for Gilda’s Club NYC. Thank you to performers, audience members and our wonderful volunteers, we’ll see you next year!
Happy Birthday to Armando Diaz! Our fearless leader in improv and sketch turned a whole year older this month. His birthday was kicked off with a little Halloween celebration with spooky juice, haunted candy and scary birthday candles. Cheers Armando- thanks for making us all better at what we love to do!
Magnet friends “All of Our Feelings at Once” are doing a sketch show that you should go and see! The Chicago-based sketch group is doing an Off-Broadway run at The American Theatre of Actors this Friday and Saturday (Oct. 25th & 26th) and are offering Magnet students/performers discounted tickets with the code: HAPPY.
The group was selected for participation in The Araca Project, which helps top sketch comedians bring their show to larger audiences. For tickets to Tonight or Tomorrow’s 9pm show, CLICK HERE. For more information on All of Our Feeling at Once, check out their website HERE!
The Magnet Theater is proud to be hosting the 5th Annual New York Musical Improv Festival from Oct. 17th-Oct. 20th! Last night was the official kick off of the Fest with shows from North Coast, Heads of State, THEM, Aquarius, Fancy Mantelpiece and many more! Over 100 performers from as far as Toronto, Chicago, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Washington, DC and as close as Broadway are converging on The Magnet stage this weekend!
NYMIF has featured everything from an improvised rock concert to a fully costumed Dickensian musical, improvised hip-hop, college teams, duo and solo shows, and even the cast and band from Broadway’s “Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson.”
This year we’ve got Mansical, Baby Wants Candy, The Improvised Sondheim Project, A Benefit Concert for Gilda’s Club NYC and much much more! For the Full Schedule, go HERE and to BUY TICKETS click HERE.
But that’s not it! We’ve also got incredible workshops all weekend! Check them out here! Check out the schedule and we’ll see you this weekend! #nymif
The Magnet is thrilled to announce our new Musical Megawatt lineup! Come by this Tuesday when all six teams will perform to kick off the new season!
New Team Chunky
New Team Smooth
Jason Scott Quinn
We’re pleased to announce the teams for the Fall 2013 round of The Circuit. In addition to the three teams below, a Musical Circuit team will be announced the first week of October. The teams are:
Coach: Jesse Acini
Coach: Amie Roe
Coach: Mike Dwyer
The first show will be Friday, October 4th at 10PM, and shows will be every Friday, through November 22nd. All shows are at the Magnet Studio Theater (259 W 30th St., 2nd Floor). The support of the entire Magnet community is what makes The Circuit possible, so please come out and support these new teams!