Posts Tagged ‘Internships’
Where is Magnet Theater?
259 W 29th St. (at 8th Avenue)
New York, NY 10001
Where is Magnet Training Center?
22 W 32nd St. (b/t 5th Ave and B’way)
New York, NY 10001
What kind of theater are you?
We’re a comedy theater! On any given night, you might see improv, musical improv, sketch, storytelling, a character showcase—or something entirely new.. You never know what you might get (but we can guarantee it’ll be a fun night had by all).
How do I make a reservation for a show?
- Head over to our calendar and choose the show you’d like to attend. Click the “Reserve” button next to the correct date and you’ll be taken to a form where you can make up to 10 advance reservations.
- Please arrive at the Magnet box office no later than 10 minutes before show time to claim your tickets. Ten minutes before the show begins, we’ll release all advanced reservations to our stand-by patrons.
- Seating is first come, first served.
If you see a “Rez Info” button, it can mean a few things:
- All advanced reservations are gone (you can probably still get in but you won’t be able to set any tickets aside).
- You’re trying to reserve for Megawatt, Musical Megawatt or Thursday Night Out. For these shows, you can pay once and stay the whole night so we only take reservations for the first show of the evening.
- You’re trying to reserve for a class show or mixer—in which case, you’re in luck. They’re free and open to everyone!
Do you have alcohol?
Yes. We have a great selection of affordable beer and wine as well as water and soda in our lobby. Plus, friendly bartenders! We ID.
Can I record or photograph a performance?
We kindly ask that you do NOT record (video or audio) or photograph a performance without the express permission of the theater. In fact, we suggest putting your phone/camera/handheld technology away entirely! We’re all about enjoying things as they happen and being present in the moment. It’s an improv thing. But it works in this case, too.
How do I sign up for a class?
Once you click the “Classes” section in our top menu, you’ll be able to scroll down to see all our class offerings along the left side of your screen. When you choose the class you want, its details will show up on the right-hand side. Click the “Register” button and provide the required info and payment. Please note: You’re not officially registered until payment is received in full.
What if a class says “Wait List?”
This means a class has sold out. You can still attempt to sign up, but you’ll be placed on the wait list. Unfortunately, being on the wait list doesn’t guarantee a spot in the class. If a slot opens up, our School Director will go through the list, in order, until it is filled.
If I have prior training, can I skip levels?
While we love and respect our fellow improv schools, we don’t allow students with prior experience to skip levels in any of our programs. Why? We want our students to fully immerse themselves in their Magnet training and we believe that starts with the basics. Our curriculum is designed to grow your skills and confidence in a comprehensive way, whether you’re an experienced improviser or just starting out.
Can I perform at Magnet?
We have so many opportunities for rising students and curious improvisers to check out Magnet’s stage.
- Mixers: We do two improv mixers a week, one on Wednesday at 6pm and one on Thursday at 7pm. We also do a Musical Mixer once a month. They’re free and anyone can sign up!
- The Circuit: Once you complete Improv Level 3, you’re eligible to apply for The Circuit. Each season, Circuit teams are chosen by lottery from the submissions of eligible improvisers. If you’re picked, you get placed on a team of 8 players and assigned a coach. You’ll practice once a week and have a schedule of regular performances. It’s a great way to learn what it’s like to be a member of a house improv ensemble.
- We Might Just Kiss: Curated and hosted by our Artistic Director Megan Gray, We Might Just Kiss celebrates female improvisers from around the community by gathering women of all levels to play together. It’s consistently one of our hottest tickets of the month!
- The Rundown: Every Saturday at 6pm, we give some of the best indie ensembles and duos in town a chance to play on the Magnet stage. Wanna apply? Go for it!
- And more! Stay connected to the Magnet community on Facebook, Twitter and our blog to make sure you’re not missing a single opportunity.
How do I become a house performer?
It depends. To be eligible to audition for Megawatt (our house improv ensembles) you have to have completed all of Magnet’s core (Levels 1-4) and Conservatory curriculum, up to and including Team Performance Workshop. To be eligible to audition for Musical Megawatt (our house musical-improv ensembles, you must complete Musical Improv Levels 1-3. To apply for a Magnet Sketch ensemble, it is strongly recommended that you take Sketch Levels 1 and 2 but you also must complete an application and submit a writing packet. We routinely post audition signups and calls for sketch applications so keep working hard and check back often to see when you can submit!
Can I be an intern?
If you’re a current student, applying for an internship is a great idea! You’ll get to learn the ropes at the theater and training center, make new friends, and become a familiar face around the Magnet community. Plus, you’ll earn credits toward a free class. Here are the details: http://www.magnettheater.com/blog/all-about-internship-program/
Is your theater handicap accessible?
Yes, our theater is able to accommodate most of our guests’ needs. Please feel free to call our box office at (212) 244-8824 in advance, and we’ll happily address any of your questions or concerns.
Are your shows suitable for children?
Since so many of our shows are created in the moment, there is no guarantee for what you might see or hear onstage. It’s best to assume the material will be of an adult nature (somewhere between PG-13 and R). Also, we serve beer and wine in our lobby, and yes we ID. Every time.
Ever wonder how our graphics game could possibly be so on point? It’s all thanks to our amazing team of designers and illustrators. And now, you can be one of them!
We’re looking for talented folks to volunteer their time and skills as part of Magnet’s graphics team. You can earn credits toward free classes (if you’re into that sort of thing) or you can simply enjoy the internal rewards of seeing your work displayed all around the theater and website. Whatever makes you feel alive!
The graphics team helps us out with the visual needs of the theater—whether it’s branding new programs, updating our existing art, or creating show promotions and campaigns.
The time commitment is on a project basis, so take on work as your schedule allows—we’re cool with that. Plus, not gonna lie, there’s a lot of cool stuff coming up.
To apply, send a resume and a link to your portfolio to Evan and Chrissie at email@example.com and please be aware that this opportunity is only open to students who have taken at least one paid class at our Training Center. We’re excited to hear from you!
Magnet Theater internships are opportunities for students to earn credit toward classes in return for working at the theater, training center, or other special events. Interns typically accumulate credits through regularly scheduled shifts performing various roles, then apply them in lieu of payment for classes at the Training Center.
How do I participate?
Any Magnet student who has completed level one is eligible for the internship program, though a teacher recommendation is required for an application to be considered. Download the internship application at http://www.magnettheater.com/internapp.doc (under “Contact | Internship Application” from the Magnet’s website). Then email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.