Posts Tagged ‘new york city’
We’re excited to announce our new additions to Musical Megawatt, New Team Hall and New Team Oates! Both teams will be debuting Tuesday, April 1st at Musical Megawatt, where there will be Magnet drink specials and an after party at Walter’s (389 8th Ave).
We are now accepting applications for The Spring 2014 Circuit! Circuit Teams are made up of Magnet Theater students, graduates of our Training program and veteran performers. We believe that in order to get better at improv, you need to do it.
The deadline to apply is March 10 at noon. Teams will be announced March 12. Shows will begin March 28. Teams will perform Friday nights at 10:30 for eight weeks. If you have any questions email Circuit@Magnettheater.com.
To Sign up, just click this link to fill out the form.
Thank you to everyone who came out and auditioned over the weekend. We are very proud to introduce our newest Megawatt Teams for the Spring of 2014.
New Team GROUCHO
New Team HARPO
New Team CHICO
New Team ZEPPO
There will also be additions to Brick:
New teams premier this Wednesday, March 5th at 7pm.
February is here and we’ve got 6 more weeks of winter! Yeahh- The Magnet’s heat is finally working really well! Here are some of this month’s top shows that we recommend absolutely NOT missing.
1. The Directors Series Presents The Acid Trip!- Thursdays in February at 9pm- A brand new Directors Series, directed by Louis Kornfeld, that will take you on a journey through the layers of the mind.
2. Jana & Lauren Presents- Friday, February 7th at 7pm- A monthly character showcase hosted by Jana Schmieding and Lauren Olson.
3. CRUSHED: Improv inspired by first loves- Friday, February 14th at 7pm- an improv show inspired by your young diary entries about your very first loves.
4. Matt Koff & Friend- Sunday, February 16th at 9pm- Daily Show Writer and Magnet alum, Matt Koff, returns to his old stomping grounds for an hour of stand up.
5. Magnet Sketch Presents (NEW TEAM) Action Park & Baby Shoes- Sunday, February 23rd at 7:30pm- This night of sketch comedy is filled with simple words, big feelings, and lots and lots of dumb, funny, and extreme scenarios.
6. We Might Just Kiss: A Female Improv Event- Monday, February 24th at 10pm- Twelve lady improvisers join on the Magnet stage for an evening of comedy that will delight men, women, babies and kittens.
7. The Nominated- Friday, February 28th at 7pm- Join us for an awards show that celebrates the crème de la crème in the world of improvised cinema.
The Director Series is a monthly improv installation wherein a director picks a new form and sets it on a new cast. This month, Michael Lutton is directing “One Hit Wonder”. We chatted with Michael via email to discuss the form.
1. What is ‘One Hit Wonder’?
One-Hit Wonder is a new form that Jon Bander and I came up with. It’s a narrative that follows the story of a band: how it was created, how the group became famous with their number-one hit, the band’s downfall and where the band members are now. I wanted to direct it because I think it has a lot of fun possibilities. Everyone is familiar with “Behind the Music” and biopics about recording artists, so there is a lot to play with, and with that simple story arc the improvisers will have a lot of room to find patterns and develop characters.
2. How does this differ from normal Musical Improv?
This form uses documentary-style interviews to bookend scenes, and since the story arc is one that is already familiar, the cast members are free to focus more on character dynamics.
3. What is your favorite one hit wonder?
The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia by Vicki Lawrence is one of the best story songs of all time, and I will fight anyone who says different. Physically fight them.
4. What is the future of musical improv?
Musical improv is usually narrative, which is a lot of fun but also very challenging. Moving ahead, I think groups will find new ways to tell stories. Our musical program is relatively new and still growing, but we a have a few veteran groups that are doing interesting things with form and genre, and starting to test the limits of what you can do with a musical. I’m very excited to see what happens next!
‘One Hit Wonder’ premiers Thursday, January 2nd at 9pm and continues Thursdays at 9pm in January!
1. The Director’s Series Presents The Wake (improv)- Thursdays at 9pm: Alex Marino directs “The Wake”, an improv show inspired by the name of a recently deceased person.
2. Croft & Pearce (sketch)- Monday, Nov. 11th at 7pm: For one night only, top-rated British sketch comedians Croft & Pearce will be exploring some of life’s enduring mysteries, such as: is it ever too late? (yes), am I worth more than this? (no), should I tweet about this experience? (obviously).
3. Weekend of Regret & Pepita (improv & solo improv)- Monday, Nov. 11th at 8:30pm: 5 of New York’s top improvisers are paired with Pepita, the fictional alter-ego of Magnet Theater performer and instructor, Elana Fishbein.
4. Magnet Sketch Teams (sketch)- Sundays at 7:30pm: Homegrown sketch groups craft some of the most intelligent and hilarious sketch comedy New York, nay The World, has ever seen.
5. Jamaal Sedayao: Born To Karaoke (solo sketch)- Sunday, Nov. 17th at 9pm: In Japanese, “karaoke” means “empty orchestra.” And in Swahili “karaoke” means “having a good time”. Jamaal hopes you have the latter at this show.
6. Legend (musical improv)- Tuesday, Nov. 26th at 9pm: Seasoned Magnet Musical Improv Team, Legend, will blow you away with a completely improvised musical.
7. Kornfeld & Andrews (improv)- Saturday, Nov. 30th at 10:30pm: Magnet Instructors and performers and super cool dudes Louis Kornfeld and Rick Andrews pair together for one night of magical improvisation.
Congratulations to the new Magnet Sketch Teams! Thank you to all those who applied, we’re excited to introduce these incredible teams! The first show is Sunday, September 29th at 9:00! Starting in October, Sketch Shows will run at 7:30 PM on Sundays. See you there!
VETERAN TEAM FRED
1. Joe Lepore
2. Adam Twitchell
3. Rob Webber
4. Kate Emswiler
5. Matt Wassung
6. Ruby Marez
7. Alex Marino
8. Joe Miles
VETERAN TEAM SHAGGY
1. Jimmy O’Connell
2. Billy Bob Thompson
3. Todd Shaeffer
4. Sebastian Conelli
5. Becca Schall
6. Ingrid Ostby
7. Andy Mills
8. Jamaal Sedayao
1. Nivea Serrao
2. Megan Meadows
3. Andy Moskowitz
4. Jon Moisan
5. Ally Kornfeld
6. David Rynn
7. Bob Kern
8. Gretchen Poole
9. Matt Antonucci
1. Kevin Lalka
2. Gwen Mesco
3. Matt Alston
4. John Kitsis
5. David Sewell
6. Sean Taylor
7. Shalini Tripathi
8. Emily Johnson
9. Marcus Brunt
1. Marc Baller
2. Lane Kwederis
3. Mike Dwyer
4. Ari Miller
5. Matt Alspaugh
6. Jonathan Keller
7. Michael McLarnon
8. Matthew Pohlman Coonrod
9. Catherine Wing
We are now accepting applications for The Fall 2013 Circuit! Circuit Teams are made up of Magnet Theater students, graduates of our Training program and veteran performers. We believe that in order to get better at improv, you need to do it.
The deadline to apply is September 18th. Teams will be announced September 23rd. Shows will begin October 4th. Teams will alternate weeks through November 22nd. If you have any questions email Circuit@Magnettheater.com.
To Sign up, just click this link to fill out the form!
Thank you to everyone who applied and auditioned for Megawatt. We’re honored to announce our fall line up:
New Team PAISLEY
There will also be additions to The Wrath, Featherweight, Brick, The Music Industry and Chet Watkins
Andrew Yurman Glaser
Lauren Ashley Smith
The Music Industry
Along with returning groups Horses, All American and Call Tokyo.
The Magnet Theater is excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for the next round of MAGNET SKETCH TEAMS, which will run from September 29th through December.
Each sketch team will write and perform a show approximately every 3 weeks. Shows will take place Sunday nights at 7:30 pm. Completion of (or current enrollment in) Sketch Writing Level 2 is required to apply. Exceptions may be made for anyone currently performing on a Megawatt or Team Performance team.
HOW TO APPLY TO BE ON A MAGNET SKETCH TEAM:
Send an email with the subject line, “MAGNET SKETCH TEAM APPLICATION” and your name to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your improv/sketch experience and at least 2 writing samples as attachments (please limit total to 10 pages). The deadline to apply is SEPTEMBER 13TH.